Thursday, January 26, 2017

Can You Drink Diet Soda on a Low-Carb Diet?

Ask Bitten Jonsson

Can you drink diet sodas on a low-carb diet? What if you can’t give it up – is that sugar addiction?

This and other questions are answered this week by our food addiction expert, Bitten Jonsson, RN:
 

Diet soda on a low-carb diet?

I have been drinking Diet Coke for years and consider drinking it my one enjoyment in life. I only drink one can a day and many days I go without. Is drinking one to four Diet Cokes a week considered a sugar addiction? I can go without sweets and breads but I can’t seem to give up Diet Coke. Please suggest how I can give up this enjoyment.

Thank you,
Deb

Deb,

Are there any consequences from it? If not you can do it but I think diet sodas are chemical sugar water, also see my answer about artificial sweeteners. Healthwise I am against it.

Take care,
Bitten

Intense carb and sugar cravings?

Always happens after sleeping about an hour or so. I have lost over 130 lbs (59 kg) and maintained weight loss for 5.5 years but when I wake with these cravings I am completely defenseless against them, I probably know what you’re thinking. Wife is not on board with LCHF so I always have access to a wide variety of junk and just feel terrible aches and pain with gastric distress the following few days. Does not happen often but is scary when it does.

What do you think?
Dave

Dave,

I would make sure I did not have any “junk/drug food” at home, period. If other family members want it ask them to hide/lock it up. I am not joking. Ask them to help and support you.

Do you mean this happens after going to bed at night or after napping during the day? Then you need to have a plan ahead of time. I suggest you take Glutamine powder 1 teaspoon in half a glass of water immediately upon awakening and then 1 tablespoon coconut oil, make sure it is the good kind in a glas of warm water. That is a great remedy for cravings. I assume you eat well during the day? Try this to start with.

Now you can join a supportgroup on FB to get more help, look for “Sugar bomb in your brain”,

Good luck,
Bitten

Do you think sugar addiction can cause type 1 diabetes, via binge eating in response to stress?

I’m not addicted to sugar now, but I remember a long period of time when consuming sugar was a response to stress. It was manic and didn’t help at all anyway!

Luz

I have not seen research but I am not surprised if that is the case due to the extreme inflammatory characteristics of sugar. Some expert say that type 1 diabetes is an inflammation. And you are right, sugar is no remedy for stress.

Bitten.

 

Earlier Q&A with Bitten

What Sweetener Should You Use Instead of Sugar?

Dealing with Emotional Eating

Losing Willpower at Night and Eating

Addicted to Nuts?

More Questions and Answers

Read all earlier questions and answers – and ask your own! – here:

Ask Bitten Jonsson, RN, About Food Addiction – for members (free trial available)

Top food addiction videos

Full Sugar Addiction Course >

The post Can You Drink Diet Soda on a Low-Carb Diet? appeared first on Diet Doctor.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/can-drink-diet-soda-low-carb-diet

No comments:

Post a Comment