Friday, September 30, 2016

Is Zero Carb a Good Idea?

AskDrAndreasEenfeldt-desat

Is it a good idea to eat a zero-carb diet?

The answer to this and other questions – for example, how do you make sure to not eat too much protein? – in this week’s Q&A with Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt:

Struggling with eating too much protein

I am having no trouble keeping my carbs low (20 g). However, struggling not to go well over my protein limit trying to get my fat in. Especially as cheese, double cream does have protein in. I then easily go well over on my protein for the rest of the day when I add meat and fish for example. Especially as I struggle with intermittent fasting. Any tips please?

Thank you,
Marianne

 
Do you absolutely need to keep protein moderate/low? For most people just keeping the carbs low is enough, unless they go totally crazy on the protein. The main thing is to add plenty of fats when cooking (like butter) and pour olive oil over salads etc. Then you’ll not need to eat as much protein to feel satisfied.

Just remember that in the long term, meaning especially when you reach weight maintenance, low carb should be a high-fat diet, not a high-protein diet. While you are losing weight you’re burning a lot of fat from your fat stores. Once you’ve reached your goal weight, and you’re no longer burning excess body fat, you’ll have to eat significantly more fat to stay satisfied.

Best,
Andreas Eenfeldt

Is there a good motivation when those around you are eating junk foods?

Hi,

I just signed up today. I have tried LCHF and it does improve my numbers (glucose, triglycerides, etc and weight loss). However, like any diet, I am unable to stick to it long term (we have birthday cake celebrations at work, my desk is 20 feet from the vending machine and my immediate family eats a lot of carbs as well as coworkers and lunch and breakfast meetings).

Is there a good motivation when you do not have willpower when those around you are eating pizza, cake, cookies, chips, ice cream and pasta – my favorite junk foods)?

Thanks,
Karen

 
Hi Karen!

Wow, a very good question indeed. It’s certainly not easy in today’s society where junky carbs are always easy to find.

I think it’s always a good idea to reduce the amount of willpower wasted on not eating junk. This means changing the environment. Try not to keep junk food at home (it helps immensely if your family is supportive) and find some way of NOT sitting 20 feet from a vending machine etc. Teaming up with a friend for support is also great.

It also gets easier with time the longer you’re off that sort of food. Our habits are powerful, but it works both ways.

Best,
Andreas

What are your thoughts on zero carb?

I’ve been low carbing since May now and it seems impossible for me to lose weight. I even gained a bit. Even after all the tweaks on the site. I think the culprit is gut problems. Could zero carb, for a short while, do the trick (starving “bad” bacteria and lowering insulin levels)?

Marijke

 
I don’t think zero carb is sustainable. I’ve never met anyone who managed to do it for more than a limited time period.

Adding intermittent fasting to a strict or moderate low-carb diet is much easier for most people, in my experience. And usually at least as effective.

Best,
Andreas Eenfeldt

More

Low Carb for Beginners

More Questions and Answers

Many more questions and answers:

Low-Carb Q&A

Read all earlier questions and answers – and ask your own! – here:

Ask Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt about LCHF, Diabetes and Weight Loss – for members (free trial available). The ability to ask Dr. Eenfeldt questions had just been relaunched after a major upgrade of the functionality. Other experts will start answering questions very soon, as we refine the upgraded functions.

More About LCHF and weight loss

The post Is Zero Carb a Good Idea? appeared first on Diet Doctor.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/zero-carb-good-idea

No comments:

Post a Comment