Saturday, June 18, 2016

Q&A: I’m Not Losing Weight on LCHF – What Should I Do?

AskDrAndreasEenfeldt-desat

What if you’re doing an LCHF diet but after an initial loss of weight you’ve hit a weight plateau? What should you do to start losing weight again?

The answer to his and other questions – for example, is dairy bad? – in this week’s Q&A with Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt:

What to do about hypoglycaemia on LCHF?

My husband is a 56, Type I (since age 27), who has enjoyed seeing much better blood sugar levels and 45 lbs. weight loss since going LCHF last August. One issue he’s been struggling with is what to do when he has a bout with extreme low blood sugar. He battles with this as he is continually adjusting his insulin dosage on his insulin pump when losing weight/exercising. Do you have any suggestions for what he should eat as his old remedy was a “shot” of Karo syrup? He thinks he’s taking himself out of keto every time this happens…
I appreciate you and your sound advice!

Becky

 
Hi Becky!

The main solution is to take action to not get hypos in the first place, meaning reducing insulin doses if hypos are common. On low carb blood sugar levels are often quite lowish so letting them get a little bit higher (but still mostly within the normal healthy range) to avoid the risk of hypos can be wise.

The smaller the insulin doses the slower and weaker the hypos and the more time there is to use some slower-absorbed carbs instead, to counter them.

Bouts of “extreme low blood sugar” would still need things like a shot of Karo syrup, so again, the trick is not to get them.

Best,
Andreas

I eat LCHF but I’m not losing any more weight – what can I do?

I’m at a complete loss. I have been on LCHF for 8 weeks. Initially for the 1st 2 weeks I saw a rapid drop in weight and abdominal measurements but for the last 6 weeks I have been bouncing around with a gain of 1 pound, a loss of one pound. I eat no processed food only eat strawberries occasionally (then only with double cream) my vegetable intake is only with meals and usually is only broccoli celery or aubergine. I eat eggs, bacon, some meat each meal, butter, cream, olive oil and coconut oil, cheese, raw nuts (only a small handfull a day) full fat yoghurt (occasionally) and avocado 2 times a week. I drink copious amounts of water usually as herb tea. I don’t drink a lot of milk i rarely use sweetners. I occasionally have half a glass of red wine with my evening meal. I have a physically active job and walk for at least an hour a day I’m tired, crotchety and often headachey. I’ve increased my salt intake and take magnesium supplements. I am having a terrible time getting a good night’s sleep and often wake up ravenous. I am 46 years old I have been on diets since I was 12 years old. I have seen more success on HCLF diets but I want to do the right thing for my long term health and really believe LCHF is the answer. I need to lose 70 lbs and this diet is not helping. I need to know what else I can do to get the weight off. I am not prepared to cut anything else out of my diet as this would be too restrictive, bland and unsustainable. I don’t feel I have the capacity to fast at this point without being utterly miserable.

Mary

 
Mary,

Have you tried intermittent fasting – or do you just assume it will be miserable? Many people are surprised at how easy and pleasant it can be, at least when “only” doing 16–24 hours. I’d suggest trying it at least once!

Intermittent fasting for beginners video course

More tips here: How to Lose Weight

Best,
Andreas

Should I be concerned about dairy?

I am interested to know what the LCHF doctors have to say about consuming so much dairy. I can tell that this diet really works but I am concerned about all the cream, cheese, etc I am consuming. Many diets exclude dairy on the basis that is hard to digest, causes allergies, excema and potentially a host of other issues. I’m not having any side effects and eating more fat is definitely curbing my sugar cravings, but I hope I’m not doing any long term damage consuming dairy a couple of times a day. Any thoughts on this?

Judy Foster

 
Judy,

I believe the concerns over dairy are overblown. Quite possibly many people may feel even better and/or lose more weight without it. But at the same time many people tolerate it fine, and it can make life easier and more delicious…

Best,
Andreas

More

Low Carb for Beginners

More Questions and Answers

Many more questions and answers:

Low-Carb Q&A

Read all earlier questions and answers – and ask your own! – here:

Ask Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt about LCHF, Diabetes and Weight Loss – for members (free trial available)

More About LCHF and Diabetes

How to eat LCHF4.6 out of 5 stars5 star73%4 star14%3 star8%2 star1%1 star2%438 ratings43811:18The 5 common mistakes on LCHF4.7 out of 5 stars5 star83%4 star11%3 star4%2 star0%1 star1%71 ratings7109:25

Diet & Diabetes – How to Normalize Your Blood Sugar4.9 out of 5 stars5 star88%4 star11%3 star0%2 star0%1 star0%27 ratings2716:26The Top 5 Tips For Weight Loss4.5 out of 5 stars5 star73%4 star13%3 star5%2 star2%1 star5%271 ratings27115:58

The post Q&A: I’m Not Losing Weight on LCHF – What Should I Do? appeared first on Diet Doctor.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/q-a-not-losing-weight-lchf

No comments:

Post a Comment