Sunday, March 20, 2016

Dr. Jason Fung Answers Questions About Intermittent Fasting

Ask Dr. Jason Fung

Do you want to know more about intermittent fasting for weight loss or diabetes reversal? Learn from Dr. Fung’s answers to common questions. He’s a Canadian nephrologist and a world-leading expert on intermittent fasting and LCHF, especially for treating people with type 2 diabetes.

Here are a number of questions answered by Jason:

High morning blood sugar

Dr. Fung,
I have read and re-read everything on your blog and this site for nearly a year. I have T2D and have been following LCHF, and doing some IF. I currently take 1000 mg of metformin. This was recently reduced because my A1C came down to 5.2! I feel great about the progress I have made but the dawn phenomenon still has me puzzles. My numbers in the morning are always in the 130’s. I want them lower!

Should I not be concerned about this? I have read your blog about DP, but I’m not quite sure if you are saying that high numbers in the morning don’t matter or if I should expect to see them come down in time. It seems to me that recently my morning numbers have gone up- Can you clear this up for me?

Dr. Jason Fung: Your DP indicates that you have not entirely gotten rid of insulin resistance. Sometimes it just takes more time. Insulin resistance is a time dependent phenomenon. It can take years to develop and can take months-years to go away.

I wouldn’t worry particularly about it. But it does mean you have more work to do.

 

Is drinking broth really fasting?

Dear Dr.Fung,
Thank you very much for all your help and for the lovely website,
I was just wondering regarding the broth, how come we can have it during the fasting since I believe it contains some fat/ some proteins/ and some calories from the bone and meats which are boiled… I’m just thinking aren’t we are better off without it and stick to water tea, for a proper fast?
Thank you

Dr. Jason Fung: Yes, the broth technically breaks the fast. We use it more in extended fasts for 2 reasons. First, the small amount of protein makes very little difference to most people. Second, it reduces the risk of re-feeding syndrome. If you would like to stick to water fasting, that is fine, too.

 

Should I eat more often?

Dear Dr. Fung,
This is one of the best life changing regimen I have ever done and it is showing great results in my blood work as well, recently I’ve been going through a body fast were I wake up not hungry and eat only when I feel the need to (still trying to control that, wait too long I guess before eating) as well I workout twice a day.

Do I continue with this concept where I eat when I need to or time it in a way to eat every 8 hrs, it’s very confusing since I am still considered a Diabetic (hopefully not for too long).

Just to add, I was diagnosed as a diabetic in Jan 2015 with A1c of 6.5; Lantus 8 units; 1000mg Metformin and before the diet the A1c was 5.5 on Oct 2015, now after 3 months my A1c is 4 and recently taking 500 mg Metformin and no Lantus (had to reduce/remove since I went into hypo a few times). Sadly I live in Bahrain and there are no Doctors that agree to this diet and no one to support, so doing this on my own with experimentation and checking my results on a monthly basis (family has a history of BP and Diabetes with other health issues like GERD and hypertriglyceridemia which I think this is norm with T2D).

I’m guessing I am doing it right since I have done the research and saw almost all your content on the site with monthly blood works.

Dr. Jason Fung: If you are not hungry, you should not eat. That is your body telling you that it has enough energy. Where is it coming from? Your own fat stores! That’s excellent. So, continue to let your body burn the fat and don’t eat.

More Questions and Answers

Many more questions and answers:

Intermittent Fasting Q&A

Read all earlier questions and answers – and ask your own! – here if you are a member:

Ask Jason Fung about intermittent fasting and type 2 diabetes – for members (free trial available)

Read Dr. Jason Fung’s new great book The Obesity Code for many more insights:

The Obesity Code


More About Intermittent Fasting and Diabetes

What is Fasting? – Dr. Jason Fung4.4 out of 5 stars5 star67%4 star14%3 star9%2 star2%1 star4%331 ratings33105:21How to Maximize Fat Burning – Dr. Jason Fung4.6 out of 5 stars5 star81%4 star8%3 star5%2 star1%1 star3%161 ratings16103:52How to Fast – The Different Options – Dr. Jason Fung4.9 out of 5 stars5 star90%4 star7%3 star0%2 star2%1 star0%80 ratings8006:47

The 7 Benefits of Fasting – Dr. Jason Fung4.6 out of 5 stars5 star83%4 star5%3 star3%2 star2%1 star4%87 ratings8707:33The Top 5 Myths of Fasting – Dr. Jason Fung4.9 out of 5 stars5 star92%4 star5%3 star1%2 star1%1 star0%80 ratings8008:23Breakfast! Is It Really That Important? – Dr. Jason Fung4.8 out of 5 stars5 star88%4 star4%3 star4%2 star2%1 star0%70 ratings7007:08

The Most Common Questions – Dr. Jason Fung4.7 out of 5 stars5 star80%4 star9%3 star4%2 star4%1 star0%21 ratings2105:38How to Get Started with Fasting – Dr. Jason Fung4.5 out of 5 stars5 star71%4 star12%3 star10%2 star4%1 star0%106 ratings10602:30Who Is Dr. Jason Fung?4.4 out of 5 stars5 star65%4 star15%3 star13%2 star4%1 star1%89 ratings8901:56

The Perfect Treatment for Weight Loss and Diabetes – Dr. Jason Fung4.5 out of 5 stars5 star75%4 star11%3 star8%2 star4%1 star1%72 ratings7245:20The 2 big lies of type 2 diabetes – Dr. Jason Fung4.6 out of 5 stars5 star81%4 star6%3 star5%2 star6%1 star0%59 ratings5942:54The Key to Obesity – Dr. Jason Fung4.6 out of 5 stars5 star79%4 star6%3 star9%2 star0%1 star4%63 ratings6344:22

The post Dr. Jason Fung Answers Questions About Intermittent Fasting appeared first on Diet Doctor.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/ask-our-expert-jason-fung

No comments:

Post a Comment