Are you up to a spicier breakfast? Here’s something tasty from Primal Palate.
It’s only moderately low in carbs (the bell pepper, tomato and onion add up) so if you’re very carb sensitive – or if you want the maximum effect on low carb – it’s not for every day.
A popular breakfast throughout the Americas, huevos rancheros is typically served atop a corn or flour tortilla and with refried beans. We make it paleo by ditching those parts, and just adding more of the good stuff!
Ingredients, 1 serving
1 jalapeño, minced
½ orange bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 whole pastured eggs
1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
1. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté garlic, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño for 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the peppers have softened slightly.
3. Add in diced tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes; set aside.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Slow-cook two eggs for approximately 6 minutes, until the whites cook through.
6. Plate the eggs topped with the salsa, and garnish with cilantro and avocado slices.
Be cautious when cooking with jalapeño peppers. Most of the heat lies in the seeds, so for a milder dish, discard the seeds. Make sure to thoroughly wash your hands after handling the peppers, before touching your face or eyes. For extra caution, you can wear rubber gloves.
About This Recipe
This recipe was originally posted on “Primal Palate”. Reposted with permission.